Building Safety Month is an international campaign celebrated in May to raise awareness about building safety.
For more than 42 years, Building Safety Month has reinforced the need for the adoption of modern, regularly-updated building codes, and helps individuals, families and businesses understand what it takes to create safe and sustainable structures.
The 2023 Building Safety Month theme is "It Starts with YOU!", and each week focuses on a specific topic:
- Week 1 (May 1–7): Building Safety Starts at Home
- Week 2 (May 8–14): Building Safety Professionals and You
- Week 3 (May 15–21): Prepare Your Community
- Week 4 (May 22–28): Advocate for Your Community
- Week 5 (May 29–31): Solving Challenges Together
To help spread the word about building safety, we’ll be highlighting a different topic each week. So follow along as we share important steps you can take in your home or your place of business to make sure it meets current code requirements and is safe for your residents and patrons.