If you want to make a difference in the community, volunteering at the library is a great way to have a positive impact!
Apply to be a library volunteer
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers can fill a variety of needs! Here are some examples:
- Collection maintenance (shelving, shelf-reading, straightening, processing materials)
- Graphic design (print and/or digital signage, marketing or resources)
- Tutoring one-on-one (technology, research, homework help, information literacy, library skills)
- Teaching workshops (technology, research, STEM, information literacy, areas of expertise)
- Assisting with public events (setup, takedown, assemble resources, greeter, logistics)
- Writing and/or editing (grants, articles, guides, social media posts, instructions, lesson plans)
- Fundraising (searching for grants, planning events, promoting donation opportunities)
- Genealogy/local history (scanning documents, research, instruction, organizing resources)
- Landscaping/facility (flowers, gardens, pruning, raking leaves, cleaning)
If you have other special skills, experience, or interests that you think would be a good fit for library services, let us know!
Am I eligible to be a volunteer?
Any adult can apply to be a volunteer, and minors (under age 18) can also apply with permission from their parent/guardian. All adults must pass a criminal background check if required.
Can I fill community service hours at the library?
We accept court-mandated or school-related community service hours on a case-by-case basis. Please be aware that the volunteer application process can take a few weeks (including background checks and an interview), so we may not be able to accommodate volunteer requests on short notice.
What happens after I submit my application?
Your application will be reviewed by the Volunteer Coordinator and assessed in the context of our current needs. If we have a possible match, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you for an in-person or virtual interview. A background check may be required prior to acceptance as a volunteer. Anyone who is accepted as a volunteer will go through an Orientation session prior to starting their first volunteer shift.
I have another question...
Read the Volunteer Policy for more information. You can also contact us, and we'll direct your query to the Volunteer Coordinator.