Third Party Content Policy
Botetourt County welcomes use of our website and various social media sites by the public to comment on matters. County staff moderate the County’s online discussion sites, as they are not traditional public forums. Accordingly, comments or other content posted by users on the County’s website and/or social media sites are subject to viewpoint-neutral reasonable regulations.
Please note, if you post a comment, the county reserves the right to delete submissions that:
- Contain nudity or obscenity
- Contain personal identifying information or sensitive personal information
- Contain offensive language that targets or discriminates on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability or sexual orientation or such other protected classes
- Are threatening, harassing or is a personal attack
- Incite or promote violence or illegal activities
- Contains information that reasonably could compromise individual or public safety
- Contains false information
Further, the county also reserves the right to delete comments that: (i) are spam or include links to other sites; (ii) are clearly off topic; (iii) advocate illegal activity; (iv) promote or oppose particular services, products, or political organizations and candidates; or (v) infringe on copyrights or trademarks.
The County reserves the right to work with local community groups, partners, stakeholders, and businesses to amplify messaging that will benefit the Botetourt County community. The county will not promote:
- Discriminatory pages or events of any kind
- Political Parties pages or events
- Events that would cause harm, promote violence or illegal activities
- Events or activities that the county is not a sponsor or partner of
Repeated violation of this policy subjects the offending user to being banned from use of the county’s social media sites. The views and comments expressed on the county’s social media sites do not reflect the opinions and positions of the county or its officer and employees and are not to be construed as an endorsement of the same, implied or otherwise, by the county, or its officers and employees. If you have any questions about this policy, please contact the Communications Department by email or by phone at (540) 928-2004.