- Community Development
- Planning & Zoning
- Zoning Approval for a Business
Zoning Approval for a Business
Home Occupation Permit
Botetourt County permits businesses to be conducted from your home under certain circumstances in accordance with Chapter 25, Section 435 of the zoning ordinance. With an approved permit, a home occupation is a permitted use subject to certain standards in all zoning districts in which residential uses are permitted (A-1, FC, RR, R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, PUD, TND).
Home occupations permitted by the County are subject to all applicable licensing requirements, including obtaining a business license from the Commissioner of the Revenue. The following are requirements for zoning approval of a home occupation:
- No person other than members of the family residing on the premises shall be engaged in such occupation on the premises. An approved home occupation permit and business license is required for all home occupations in accordance with the Botetourt County Code.
- The use of the dwelling unit for the home occupation shall be clearly incidental and subordinate to its use for residential purposes by the family. The maximum aggregate square footage of a home occupation, whether conducted in the dwelling unit, accessory structure or both, shall not exceed 500 sq. ft., including storage of materials or products associated with the home occupation.
- There shall be no change in the outside appearance of the building or premises or other visible evidence of the conduct of such home occupation, other than one sign, in accord with the sign regulations in Article IV, Division 2 of this chapter.
- There shall be no on-site sales of goods, merchandise, or inventory, other than items handcrafted on the premises in connection with such home occupation. Clients traveling to the dwelling for personal services (such as tutor, massage therapy, pet grooming, beauty salon, and similar uses) in connection with the home occupation shall not exceed five (5) per day. Internet sales/consulting is permitted, providing that all sales are conducted off- site and/or shipped to the purchaser of the product.
- No traffic shall be generated by such home occupation in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood (ten (10) vehicle trips per day) per dwelling and any need for parking generated by the conduct of such home occupation shall be met off the street and other than in a required front yard.
- Pickup or delivery by tractor-trailer is prohibited. Pickup or delivery for such home occupations shall be limited to the United States Postal Service, United Parcel Service, FedEx or other similar carrier service.
- No equipment or process shall be used in the home occupation which creates noise, vibrations, glare, fumes, odors or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses off the lot, if the occupation is conducted in a single- family residence, or outside the dwelling unit, if conducted in other than a single-family residence. In the case of electrical interference, no equipment or process shall be used which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receiver off the premises.
- The home occupation shall not increase demand on water, sewer, utility or garbage collection services to the extent that the combined demand for the dwelling and home occupation does not exceed normal use of the property for residential purposes. All waste materials generated by a home occupation that are toxic or hazardous shall be disposed of in accordance with county and/or state and federal regulations.
- Parking of not more than one (1) commercial vehicle and/or one (1) cargo/utility trailer associated with an approved home occupation or home business shall be permitted, provided that such vehicles shall not include any tractor trailer or vehicle exceeding one and one-half (1½) ton capacity; cargo or utility trailers shall not exceed eight (8) feet, six (6) inches in width or sixteen (16) feet in length
To apply for your home occupation, please complete the following form and email it to our Planning & Zoning Office. We will process your application and contact you with payment instructions, usually within 3 business days.
Home Occupation Permit Application
Business Zoning Approval
If you are interested in opening in a business location, our office is here to help you. As you explore locations, contact our department via email or phone to determine if your business can operate at your desired location. Our office can assist you with determining what plans or permits may be required based on the proposed use of your business.