Absentee Voting Information
Voting any time other than on Election Day in the voter's designated precinct is considered absentee voting. Absentee voting begins at least 45 days prior to all general or primary elections. All qualified, registered voters are eligible to vote absentee either in-person (Early Voting) or by mail (Vote By Mail). The ballots used in early voting and vote by mail are the same ballots used on election day.
Early Voting (In-Person)
- Available only in General Registrar's Office at 2 East Main Street, Fincastle
- Available during normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm) except for state holidays
- Available the two (2) Saturdays prior to all elections
- Voters who receive a mailed absentee ballot must surrender that unmarked ballot if wishing to vote in-person
- Deadline is 5:00 pm on Saturday immediately prior to Election Day
Vote By Mail Voting
- Vote By Mail ballot is the same ballot given to voters on Election Day or during In-Person Early Voting
- Vote By Mail applications can be submitted online, by mail or by fax Apply online here
- Deadline to request a Vote by Mail ballot is close of business 11 days prior to any election. Completed applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the day of deadline. (usually second Friday prior to Election Day)
- Voters are encouraged to submit application for mailed ballot as early as possible to allow ample time for mailing through USPS. Normal delivery time is 3 to 7 days once mailed from our office. Voters should allow time to receive ballot from our office and to return the marked ballot to our office prior to the deadline.
- Applications can be submitted up to 12 months prior to the election
- Voters can complete the application indicating their desire to be on the "Permanent Absentee List" which will allow voter to automatically receive ballots for all elections they are qualified to participate in
- Marked Vote By Mail ballots may be hand-delivered by the voter to Registrar's office during regular business hours and must be received no later than 7 pm on Election Day
- Marked Vote By Mail ballots may be hand-delivered to the voter's polling location on Election Day before close of polls at 7 pm
- Marked Vote By Mail ballots may be deposited in the dropbox outside the Registrar's office (video monitored 24/7) no later than 7 pm on Election Day
- If mailed, marked Vote By Mail ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and received in the registrar's office no later than noon on the third business day after the election (normally the Friday following the election unless it is a holiday).