Site Plan Development Review Process
Almost all non-residential construction will require a site plan prior to the issuance of any building permits. Prior to the submission of any documents, a pre-application conference is strongly recommended. This allows for discussion to determine requirements for zoning, fire protection, utilities, erosion and sediment control and stormwater management as well as VDOT required approvals and permits.
An applicant may wish to schedule a pre-application conference during one of the monthly meetings of the Technical Review Committee, which meets the 3rd Friday of each month starting at 9AM, or may reach out to the Development Review Coordinator via email to set up a meeting. Representatives from zoning, engineering, building, WVWA, Fire/EMS and VDOT, if applicable will attend.
Applicants utilizing this process benefit from a shorter plan review and approval timeline.
Submit an email with the following information:
- Completed site plan application, link to download at the beginning of this page
- Digital copy of site plan
- Digital copy of Erosion and Sediment Control documents
For guidance on what should be included for the site plan to be complete:
When is a site plan required?
A site plan shall be required for the following uses in the enumerated districts in unincorporated Botetourt County unless waived by the zoning administrator if the type, scale and/or location of the proposed development does not necessitate such plans:
- Duplexes, multi-family dwellings, town houses and mobile home subdivisions and mobile home parks (R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4)
- All uses (PUD, TND, M-1, M-2, M-3, PIP, RAM, SC, B-1, B-2, B-3, POP)
- For all special exceptions
No person shall commence any use or erect any structure, including additions to existing structures, parking areas or other required site plan features, without first obtaining the approval of a site plan by the zoning administrator as set forth in this article, and no use shall be carried on, no structure erected or enlarged and no other improvement or construction undertaken except as shown upon an approved site plan.
The following are exempt from having to file a site plan:
- The lawful construction, alteration and occupancy of a single or two-family dwelling or mobile home, with or without a garage.
- Any lawful use, alteration or construction for agricultural or residential uses in district A-1, RR and district FC. Churches and schools in these districts shall file a site plan in accordance with this chapter.