- Parks & Recreation
- Programs & Special Events
- Senior Van Service
Senior Van Service
The Botetourt County Transportation Service improves the quality of life for Botetourt County Residents by providing transportation for eligible riders to and from essential appointments, and, as time permits, non-essential appointments.
Transportation is available Monday —Friday, and rides are scheduled on a first come, first served basis.
For additional information, or to schedule a ride, please call the Parks & Recreation office at (540) 928-2130.
Prior to scheduling a ride, please review the Transportation Service Policy (PDF).
Riders must adhere to all COVID regulations outlined in the Transportation COVID Guidelines (PDF).
Eligible Riders are Botetourt County resident that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Riders must live in their own home or the home of a relative or friend. They cannot reside (even on a temporary basis) in a nursing home, assisted living or rehab facility.
- Riders who are 55 year of age or older
- Riders under 55 who have a diagnosed mental or physical disability. Riders with a severe mental or physical disability or riders under the age of 30 must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
- Riders who are wheelchair-bound must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
- Legally blind individuals can have a service animal and must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion.
Cost: $6.00 a person.
- Will you be waiting on me or dropping me off? How long will I need to wait?
Sometimes we can wait, other times we must leave and come back when you are ready. We do not intend nor plan for anyone to wait very long, however, it may be difficult to predict accurate timeframes.
- How do the drivers assist? Does anyone go in with me to the doctor or shopping?
We will assist you getting in and out of the vehicle, as well as help with any device you may use. There is no additional fee associated with any help related to a device (such as a wheelchair). We will ensure that you are brought to the main entrance of the medical office, clinic, or store. We will assist in the loading and unloading of your items at your residence.
- When will I be picked up?
Pickup times may range anywhere from a few minutes prior to your appointment to longer, depending on travel distance, weather, and schedules associated with other riders' needs.
- How much does it cost?
If you are able to walk, and do not require the use of a wheelchair while in transit, it is $6.00. If you require the use of a wheelchair while in transit, it is $12.00.
- Can we stop other places?
Yes, but we ask that you please inquire beforehand when possible. If you leave the medical facility earlier than anticipated, and have a prescription for pickup, we will do our best to accommodate your pickup prior to taking you home. If time allows, we will try to accommodate any other additional requests.
- What if I am having a procedure done?
It depends on the type of procedure. If you must to be put to sleep or require light sedation, you will be required to have an additional person accompany you (this is most often required by the clinic). Please keep in mind that we are unable to speak on your behalf like a family member or friend if an emergency would occur. In addition, we are unable to guarantee that we are able to wait for you in the waiting room due to the needs of our other riders. If you wish to have a family member or friend accompany you during these situations, that is fine.