General Statement of Duties
The intern will be given the opportunity to gain experience and skills in leadership, programming, planning, budgeting, supervision, facility maintenance, facility inventory, evaluation and administrative functions within a recreation and leisure setting.
Examples of Work
- Observe and assist the Parks and Recreation staff on general daily duties.
- Observe and assist in the daily operations of the Sports Complex Manager when needed.
- Observe the administration of the budget.
- Assist with planning and execution of coaches’ trainings and certifications.
- Provide facility supervision during Recreation programming.
- Provide support in recreation schedule creation and communication.
- Conduct equipment and uniform inventory and disbursement.
- Assist in the implementation of special events within the County.
- Assist with event operations of the Botetourt Sports Complex.
- Provide event planning and execution support for Parks and Recreation program events.
- Assist with general office duties such as answering the telephone, typing, taking messages, scheduling appointments, processing mail as received, greeting the public, preparing and organizing flyers, handouts and forms.
- Other duties as assigned.
Following of all rules and regulations of Botetourt County Personnel Policy Handbook; professional conduct is required at all times; complete all tasks in a timely manner with attention to delivering the highest quality possible; being well groomed and appropriately dressed for all internship assignments and activities; all absences should be scheduled in advance; possess a valid Virginia driver’s license.
Botetourt County Internships will provide the student with skills in leadership, programming, planning, budgeting, supervision, facility management and maintenance and administrative functions; to allow the student to gain an understanding and appreciation of the role, duties and responsibilities of full-time professionals; to prepare students for entry into the Recreation field.
Interested applicants for a Parks & Recreation internship may submit a resume and cover letter to Recreation Manager, Shontae' Wade.
Interviews will be scheduled with appropriate applicants.