Election results can be found at the Virginia Department of Elections website
November 7, 2023 General Election
- Offices on Ballot:
- Senate of Virginia - 3rd District (4-year term)
- House of Delegates - 37th District (2-year term)
- Local Offices:
- Soil & Water Directors 2 seats (4-year term)
- Treasurer (4-year term)
- Clerk of Circuit Court (8-year term)
- Commissioner of Revenue (4-year term)
- Commonwealth's Attorney (4-year term)
- Sherriff (4-year term)
- Board of Supervisors -- Valley District (4-year term)
- Board of Supervisors -- Fincastle District ( 4-year term)
- Board of Supervisors -- Blue Ridge District (4-year term)
- School Board -- Valley District (4-year term)
- School Board -- Fincastle District (4-year term)
- School Board -- Blue Ridge District (4-year term)
- Town of Buchanan -- Town Council - 2 seats (2-year term)
- Town of Troutville -- Town Council - 3 seats (2-year term)
Note: Only voters who are registered with a residence address within the town limits are eligible to vote for town offices.
Election Day Information
- Precincts are open 6 am to 7 pm
- Eligible voters in line at 7 pm will be allowed to vote
- Voters must present valid identification (Acceptable IDs)
- Voters without a form of valid identification may complete an ID Confirmation Statement per § 24.2-643 of the Code of Virginia ID Confirmation Statement
- All voters must vote in the precinct in which they are registered on Election Day (Find your polling location here Election Day Information )
- No voting in Registrar's office on Election Day
- Last day for in-person early voting in the Registrar's Office is 5:00 pm on Saturday prior to Election Day.
Voters with Disabilities
The Department of Elections & Voter Registration offers several options for voters who may have difficulty voting in their assigned polling location.
- Voters with a disability or illness are eligible to vote absentee. (see Absentee Voting)
- Curbside voting is available at all precincts on Election Day and at the Department of Elections & Voter Registration during absentee voting for voters 65 years old or older, or with a temporary or permanent disability.
- ADA marking devices are available at all polling locations on Election Day and at the Department of Elections & Voter Registration during early voting for voters who may have difficulty marking their ballot. The device offers audio for the visually impaired.
- Voters may bring someone to assist them (voter and assistant will be required to complete an authorization form prior to voting).
- Voter may ask for assistance from election officials (voter and election officials will be required to complete an authorization form prior to voting).
- All polling locations are ADA accessible.
- For more information on the accommodations available, contact the Department of Elections & Voter Registration at 540-928-2120
A primary is an election administered by the state for the political parties. It is up to the political parties to determine their method of nominating candidates to appear on the November General Election ballot. If a primary is chosen, it is normally held on the third Tuesday in June. In Presidential years, the primary to choose presidential candidates is held in March (Super Tuesday). All registered voters in Virginia are eligible to participate in any party primary as Virginia does not register by party. Voters are allowed to vote in only one primary on the same day per Code of Virginia § 24.2-530. If both parties hold a primary on the same day (called a dual primary), voters must indicate which primary they wish to participate in when checking into the precinct. Each primary, even if held on the same day, is an individual election with separate ballots. Thus the reason for indicating which party's primary you wish to participate in.
Becoming a Candidate
Voters wishing to become a candidate must follow instructions on the Virginia Department of Elections website and in the candidate bulletin for the desired office and election. Candidate bulletins include filing information, deadlines, and campaign finance requirements. Candidate information, including links to the necessary forms, can be found here Becoming a candidate:.