Voter Registration Information
Who is eligible to register to vote?
Voters must meet all of these criteria:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 18-years of age on or before the next November General Election
- Be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Must not be a convicted felon whose rights have not been restored
- Must not have been judged mentally incapacitated
How do I register or update my registration?
There are several methods to register to vote or update your current registration:
- Register or update registration online here
- Register in person at 2 East Main Street, Fincastle during regular office hours
- Request a paper application be mailed to you by calling (540) 928-2120
- Register or update at any DMV while taking care of other business
- At any state agency
Unsure if you are registered or if your registration is current?
When to Register or Update your Registration
- Registrations or updates to voter registration must be received no less than 21 days prior to the date of the next election to be valid for that election.
- Individuals who will be 18-years old on or before the date of the next November General Election are eligible to register.
- Individuals who will be 18 years old on or before the date of the November election are eligible to register and vote in a party primary for any office that will be on the November General Election ballot. Registrations must be received by the appropriate registration deadline.
Virginia does not register by party. Political parties and third-party organizations are allowed to purchase voter lists from the Virginia Department of Elections. Lists can be based on locality, participation in a particular party primary or general election, etc.
Has your address or name changed?
To remain a qualified registered voter, the law requires you to update your voter registration record with any change in your name or residence/mailing address. This must be done prior to books closing for the next election. Updating your information with the Post Office or other state agency does not change your voter registration.
Voters who do not update their registration in a timely manner could be ineligible to vote in an election or may have their registration cancelled if particular criteria apply.