Knox Box Program
The Knox Box Entry System Program is an effort by Botetourt County Fire & EMS to provide property and business owners a reliable, secure system that will provide nondestructive, emergency access to commercial buildings.
By ordering one of these boxes and allowing us to lock a set of keys to your business inside of it, firefighters will have rapid access to your business during emergencies.
How to Order
- Visit the KnoxBox website.
- Select the state (Virginia), then the local jurisdiction (Botetourt County Fire & EMS)
- Select the KnoxBox you wish to purchase. The County highly recommends that you select a 3200 series secured KnoxBox. Other models may be approved, but please contact Botetourt Fire & EMS for the approval of any alternative you may wish to install.
- Once the order has been submitted our department must approve it. It is our goal for all submissions to be reviewed within 48 hours of submission.
- Once the request has been approved, you will receive a confirmation email from the KnoxBox Company and your order will be shipped.
- After delivery, please contact Botetourt County Fire & EMS at 540-928-2206 to set up an onsite visit and consultation to discuss the best placement of the KnoxBox.
- Once the location has been approved, the owner or contractor will then install the secured KnoxBox.
- After installation, we will return to come out and secure your keys and/or access cards inside the KnoxBox.
You may also consider including a USB flash drive inside the box that contains pertinent building information including plans, floor layouts, and or fire protection system plans. This is not required, however can be beneficial to responding agencies.
Fire Plans Review
There is a comprehensive review process in Botetourt County to evaluate submitted building plans to ensure approved placement of fire hydrants and fire department connections, accessibility for fire apparatus and other emergency vehicles, and to ensure appropriate fire lane designations. Fire plans review includes an evaluation for all new commercial construction, properties, and subdivisions in Botetourt County.
In addition to plans review, Botetourt Fire & EMS personnel may also visit the building during construction or modification to witness and conduct testing to ensure the fire protection systems are installed and working properly.
Botetourt County Fire & EMS is responsible for conducting fire investigations for all fires that occur. The responding fire units will conduct an initial evaluation of each incident and a specially trained team of local or regional investigators may be called in to assist. Our goal is to ensure that the cause of all fires, including those that were intentionally set or those that result from accidental or natural circumstances, is fully understood to ensure the safety of the community.
Home Fire Safety Surveys
Home fire safety surveys are available by appointment. These are conducted as a courtesy of the Botetourt County Department of Fire & EMS. Staff will look for overloaded outlets, working smoke detectors, unobstructed exit routes from your home, and good visibility of address markings from the street. Upon request, a copy of the findings will be given to the residents, along with suggestions. A follow-up appointment may also be requested if so desired. Our goal in providing this service is to make sure that your home is free of potential fire and life safety hazards. Contact our Administrative Office at 540-928-2201 to schedule an appointment.
Botetourt Fire & EMS staff will perform fire safety inspections for local businesses and industries within the county, by request. These inspections are to ensure compliance with the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code and NFPA fire safety standards. To request a visit, please call 540-928-2201.
Fire Extinguisher Training
Botetourt Fire & EMS offers classroom and hands-on simulation for the proper use of fire extinguishers. This training is offered to local businesses and industries within the county. To set up this training for your team, please call 540-928-2201.
Information and Profile of an Active Shooter
An Active Shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area; in most cases, active shooters use firearms(s) and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims.
Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.
Because active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes, before law enforcement arrives on the scene, individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal with an active shooter situation.
- Good practices for coping with an active shooter situation
- Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers
- Take note of the two nearest exits in any facility you visit
- If you are in an office, stay there and secure the door
- If you are in a hallway, get into a room and secure the door
As a last resort, attempt to take the active shooter down. When the shooter is at close range and you cannot flee, your chance of survival is much greater if you try to incapacitate him/her.
Call 911 when it is safe to do so!
Fire & EMS
10 West Back Street
Fincastle, VA 24090
10 West Back Street Fincastle VA 24090
Emergency Communications CenterPhone: 540-473-8631Emergency Phone: 911